Thursday, November 8, 2007

An International Opinion

As someone born and raised in Saudi Arabia, I’m not someone who is particularly gung-ho about abolishing the death penalty. To be honest with you, I’ve seen how the death penalty can work. I don’t feel threatened when I’m out and about in Saudi Arabia; rather, I feel safe and secure. I know that anyone who even tries to get near me will be punished, and punished severely. However, as a foreign resident, I also understand that Saudi Arabia runs on strict Sharia law. I believe that most living there are mindful of the fact, and take it into heavy consideration before making any decision.

A person imprudent enough to ignore the laws and customs of the society within which they live warrant some sort of penalty. The extreme disregard and disrespect these people demonstrate threaten the well-being of others, and sometimes their actions merit more than just a slap or two on the wrist. That is why we have justice systems and that is why we sanctify our courts. We hope that they will protect us and we pray that they will never be misled. Unfortunately, that is not the case; justice fails one too many of us far too often.

I’m not from the United States of America, and I don’t need to be. I understand what America stands for, and it’s not “life, love and the pursuit of happiness” as its citizens so often claim. It is not for liberty, nor is it for freedom. Had it been, Troy Anthony Davis would not be in a jail cell, withering away whilst he’s praying for a positive outcome to a crime that he most likely did not commit.

Mahwish Khan

No comments: