Thursday, November 8, 2007

Lessons Behind Hardships

I am a Taiwanese Graduate student at American University. Recently my classmates and I are working on a project with the aim to help Troy A. Davis. In my opinion, Troy’s case is not only about human rights, racial discrimination, and death penalty. His story is also a big lesson for us to learn in terms of our morale in challenges and spiritual fights.

More than once I imagine if I were Mr. Davis, what would I do and feel being put into jail for some crime that I’d never committed? I don’t think I can bear with the burden of fear and betrayers and the loss of my freedom. I also ask myself: if anyone of my family members were going through this kind of hardship, could I be supportive and brave enough to stand with him?
Mr. Davis is the living example and at the same time, a great warrior standing still in difficulties. I believe his story must have given other people strength to face their own problems. I am one of those who are inspired. If he can overcome all these challenges, why can’t I?
I also want to put forward that God usually build and equip us through hardship. Moreover, I think that only in hard times, can we see the true values of our life and the greatness of God.

In Troy’s case, I believe he knows much better than all of us to cherish our lives, freedom, and the time spent with our family. Just think of how many people commit suicide and how many marriage and families are breaking up per day. What is wrong with us people who have freedom and right to live but take them for granted? And think of how many times we complain to our environment, family, work, or anything. I think we seldom feel enough and satisfied with what we’ve already had; instead, more than often we pay much attention on what we still don’t have. That’s the origin of our pain and sorrow, which, compared with that of Troy and his family, seems to be so little and unimportant.

I encourage everyone who read this article to express your love to your family if you haven’t done so today and try to count the blessings you’ve had if you aren’t satisfied with your life now. The key point in the pursuit of happiness is to love yourself and to be brave and optimistic.


Chi Wang

No comments: